The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is pleased to announce recipients of the Inaugural Outstanding Postdoc Mentor Award:
- Peter Mucha, Ph.D., Bowman and Gordon Gray Professor of Mathematics,
Department of Mathematics
- Gail Henderson, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Social Medicine
- Aravinda de Silva, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Stephanie Gupton, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Cell Biology and Physiology
The award recognizes a faculty member or advisor who has engaged in exceptional mentoring of postdoctoral scholars as evidenced by the following:
- Has advocated for postdoctoral scholars.
- Has been accessible and provided open lines of communication to postdoctoral scholars.
- Has created a supportive environment for research; has shown respect for the postdoctoral scholars’ goals, and assisted them in fulfilling those goals.
- Has provided guidance in research career and assisting the postdoctoral scholars in building a professional network through generous sharing of contacts.
- Has demonstrated a sustained commitment to creating a productive working environment that enhances the overall postdoctoral experience.
The recipients are welcome to join us for the National Postdoctoral Appreciation Week luncheon on Friday, September 23, 2016 at noon, in the lobby of the FedEx Global Education Center. Each recipient will be presented with a plaque in recognition of being selected as an outstanding mentor during our Annual Postdoctoral Awards for Research Excellence in November.