Carolina undergraduates attend Budapest Semesters in Mathematics

With the start of the Fall semester upon us, we take a moment to congratulate three Carolina undergraduates—Emma Blackwell, Daniel Peters, and Nico Rojina—who will not attend classes here in Chapel Hill this Fall because they will instead attend the acclaimed Budapest Semesters in Mathematics program.

When asked what drew her to the program, Emma replied, “it was the excitement of traveling as well as the prospect of learning math through the Hungarian method, which I had heard was quite different from our own approach. What I’m hoping to get out of the program is the chance to take math classes not offered at UNC and to meet mathematicians from all over the world. I’m also hoping to travel a lot in my spare time.”

“What really drew me to study abroad was the opportunity to engage with a culture for an extended period of time while being able to indulge in some deep mathematics under the guidance of some of the best mathematicians in the world,” Daniel said. “I’m hoping to return from the study abroad with a broader world view and maturity from living on my own in a foreign country.” Indeed, it sounds like Daniel has already set up multiple trips with the students he’s met there so far.

Congratulations to all three students!